Thursday, 3 May 2012

Black vintage beauty!

Always on the hunt for a new worthwhile addition to my Filofax family, I stumbled upon this lovely vintage binder on eBay: a black personal Kensington. You can get them for very little money, which proofs that they are currently a bit underrated in the shine of all the new tres fashionable new binders on the market.
Which is a shame!
When I first touched this Kensington, I was amazed about how soft and plyable the leather is. Very unlike the Mini Kensington I once owned, which was very stiff and which seemed to have been made of much thicker leather than this one. The black leather has a very nice shine!


On the left the Kensington has 8 card slots with a full height vertical pocket behind it. On the right there is a very roomy gusseted zip pocket with another vertical pocket behind it.




Close up left side with card slots and vertical pocket:


Zip pocket:




With vertical pocket behind:


 The pen loop is made entirely of leather. But since the leather is so soft and bendable the penloop is a lot more flexible than you'd expect. In fact, I would love if all Filofaxes came with these penloops!
Full leather pen loop

 The model name:


 Shot of the spine with embossed "f"-logo:


 Alas, it only comes with the standard 23 mm -rings. It really would have deserved 30 mm rings!!!
Meager 23 mm rings

Of course, you'll want to know if this baby lays flat? Well, to be honest, it does a LOT more than that!
Have a look!
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's a Filofax!!!

Even my favourite Malden isn't that flexible!

And in case you wondered how it would look stuffed, I tranfered the guts from my Personal Malden to the Kensington. I'm looking forward to the test drive!
Kensington with journal/logbook on my kids and Lamy FP



Hope you enjoyed this little tour. If you love Vintage Filofaxes you should come back, because I have a very rare bright red Winchester coming (should the seller ever decide to ship the darn thing ...!).

10 comments:

  1. I love the "it does a lot more than that". THAT's a flex Filofax! Great post!
    Fingers crossed that the Winchester is coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - looking forward to seeing the Winchester :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! There's nothing like a well used binder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! And I thought the Maldens were flexible :)
    Looking forward to hearing about your Winchester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still looking forward to actually receiving it! Paid for on April 14th, still nothing. Supposed to have shipped on the 20th. I highly doubt that, Royal Mail Signed for is usually very prompt!

      Delete
  5. I have one that is almost twenty years old. I bought it when i was living in Paris. It still looks great. It's beautiful, it's flexible and it's soft. I prefer the older model to the ones Filofax is making nowadays.
    Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a mini Kensington and about to get a pocket in burgundy :) the mini is only my 2nd Filofax :) have not bought any of the new models.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today I decided to dig for my old filofax fax and actually start using it. I came across your blog and . Have the exact one. A Kensington . Got in 1997 for my 12th. It rrp at $150 at the local Myer store. (i am in Australia). I loved and still do this soft, flexible planner. Smells so lovely too. I don'. Really plan on using the credit card section for cards etc but I'll find a lovely purpose :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently got my hands onto a used Kensington in brown & with the first touch I fell in love with this gorgeous binder. If this would have been my first filofax, I would not have been out hunting any other models. Thanks for this great review and the lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete